A History of Enda Sellasse (Shire-Enda Sellasse) Town and its Environs from 1936-1989

A History of Enda Sellasse (Shire-Enda Sellasse) Town and its Environs from 1936-1989

Show full item record

Title: A History of Enda Sellasse (Shire-Enda Sellasse) Town and its Environs from 1936-1989
Author: Guesh, Abraha; D/r Teclehaimanot, Gebre Selassie
Abstract: This study focuses on the history of Enda Selassä (Šerä-Enda Selassä) town: its foundation, physical growth, economic activity, politico-administration system, religion and social services basically between 1936 and 1989. In this study, the researcher utilized primary and secondary sources as well as oral information through interview in order to gather the data. As sources indicate that, before the present location of Šerä-Enda Selassä town several towns had emerged and developed in the vicinity of Enda Selassä town since the ancient, medieval and modern periods. For example, the town of Addi-Wänfito which existed from the medieval up to the modern period was rendering service as a significant urban settlement for about six centuries. This town was abandoned and shifted to a new center during the Italian occupation (1936-41). The historical foundation of the present location of Šerä-Enda Selassä town was directly or indirectly related with the fascist Italian occupation period (1936-1941). As the findings of this study show, the location being on the important highway that extends from Gondär to Asmara and has been a crossroad in all directions of the region contributed for the selection and growth of Enda Selassä town as a principal urban settlement. The town experienced the destruction of materials, mass killings and imprisonment of people during the five years of Italian occupation. On the contrary, there were various setting up of urban services in the indicated time. Since c. 1944, Enda Selassä town got a municipal status; and thereafter the town was administered by the head of the municipality. To some extent, there was a stable political situation in the town during Emperor Hailä selasè I until the 1960s. Like at the end of the Imperial regime, the military regime was highly opposed by the inhabitants of the town. However, unlike the situations of the Imperial period, the mode of opposition in the town was underground during the Dergue regime. Enda Selassä town and its environs became a bone of contention among the political rival groups of the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), Ethiopian Democratic Union (EDU) and the Dergue government. This was particularly true between the TPLF and the Dergue government throughout the fourteen years (1975-1989). The inhabitants of Enda Selassä town practiced mixed economic activities under the discussion period. Religiously speaking, Orthodox Christianity and Islam had been predominantly practiced in Enda Selassä town, but the majorities are Orthodox Christians. There was a better setting up of social services in the town during the Imperial regime than the Dergue regime. The administrative center, the distribution center of agricultural and industrial products for the nearby towns and its hinterlands had played a remarkable achievement for the physical growth and population development of Enda Selassä town.
Description: 141p.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/3088
Date: 2015-11


Files in this item

Files Size Format View
Guesh. Abraha. FinaL Thesis - Dec..pdf 2.160Mb PDF View/Open

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record